Monday, March 22, 2010

To sleep perchance to dream.....



My eyes opened. The light grew bright outside. My alarm had not sounded just yet.

She slept silently by my side. The world as I knew it was peaceful. It was the quiet time before the rush of life begins. I savored the precious moments and appreciated the exquisite calm. I ran my fingers through her hair, my hand resting on the small of her back. She was deep asleep, equal measures of softness and warmth. I mentally prepared for the rest of my day: work and equal parts preparation and hell in the gym. The week lay spread before me: a long road filled with tests both mental and physical. I gritted my teeth in acceptance of the road rising to meet me once I climbed out of bed. I stopped and ran my fingers down her neck as she stirred and sighed in waking.

"The more the light shines through me, I pretend to close my eyes....
the more the dark consumes me, I pretend I'm burning...burning bright..."


I've worn my hat of significant other and partner. It comforts and soothes the dark passenger. I slept what felt like a millenia and dreamed my recurring dream of sailing on a black sea.

I slipped into the day hopping from shadow to shadow already mentally weary in consideration of the week ahead. These are the tests that make us, that forge us. If you must fail, do so while daring greatly.
-With Greatest Affection

"...who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

No comments:

Post a Comment